- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Azada Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic
- 4 cups (1 litre) lightly packed chopped red cabbage (Lombard)
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 small glass (125 ml) red wine
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup (125 ml) dairy-free cream
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cups sliced green apple
- 2 tablespoons Azada Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 people
Gluten-free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Nut-free
Prepping the Lombard Cream
- In a large saucepan, soften the onion in Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic.
- Once the onion has softened add the glass of red wine and let it cook over medium heat until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the Lombard cabbage, potato, vegetable broth, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the vegetables are perfectly tender. Remove the bay leaves.
- In a blender, purée the cream ‘soup’ until smooth and add the dairy-free cream. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
To make the tastiest homemade cream of soup, try to build flavours as you go. Vegetables like onion and garlic are known as aromatics ingredients and are part of most soup recipes for this very reason. Ensure you cook them long enough to be softened (and release their full flavour).
Prepping the topping.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Azada’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan. Once hot add the apple, caraway seeds, and salt; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serving the Lombard Cream.
As a final touch, serve the Lombard Cream with the sautéed apples when serving.