En Croute Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons Azada Olive Oil & Rosemary
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 500 grams portobello/chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or port
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 300 grams ready-rolled butter puff pastry (gluten-free equivalent)
- 1 cup grated gruyere or any other tasty cheese like Emmental, Jarlsberg, Beaufort, comté or raclette
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Preparation time 1 hour 10 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
Gluten-free | Vegetarian
- Preparing the filling. Heat Azada’s Olive Oil & Rosemary in a large, deep frying pan on medium heat. Once warmed through, add the onions and cook for 15 minutes until soft and translucent, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sherry or port, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked through with little liquid in the frying pan. Chill the mushrooms for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190˚C and lay out the pastry, cutting them into two sheets to fit into your pastry tray – one should be about 2cm bigger than the other.
- After about an hour, place the grated cheese in the centre of the smaller pastry sheet, leaving a 2cm edge around the edges. Brush the border with the whisked egg. Place the chilled mushrooms over the cheese and place the bigger sheet of pastry on top and press the pastry around the edges. Use the tines of a fork to firmly seal the pastry together, then trim a little extra if there is extra pastry. Brush the pastry with whisked egg and cut a few small slashes in the top of the pastry to allow for the steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cook in the oven for 25–30 minutes until golden and flaky.
- Why not serve this irresistible Mushroom en Croute with baked beans, a simple crispy green salad or a red pepper chutney.